About Us

The Club

Townsville Picnic Bay SLSC was formed in 1927 on Magnetic Island when the late Cyril Currie – founder and life member – turned his focus from a still water life saving club to the surf life saving movement.

 

The 1930s were boom years for surf life saving and Townsville Picnic Bay erected a clubhouse on the island in 1937. The 1950s and 1960s were also prosperous decades for the club which saw a new island clubhouse constructed in 1966. The Nipper club was formed the following season.

 

Thirty years later, the club decided to secure a base on the mainland in Townsville and in 1999 the dream came to fruition with the opening of its new clubhouse on the Strand.

 

"With the move to the mainland the club has significantly expanded its area of surveillance. Patrols will cover Picnic Bay and its adjacent area but now include the Strand beach." (extract from J. Jensen, You Never Really Leave Picnic Bay)

 

In 2007 Townsville Picnic Bay celebrated its 80th anniversary to coincide with 100 years of surf life saving.

 

At our 2010 Annual General Meeting, a Notice of Motion was voted on by members to add Townsville to the club's existing name. It was then moved that the club change its name to Townsville Picnic Bay SLSC as our presence on the mainland and at Magnetic Island brought about the decision for the name change, to take us into a brand new and exciting era.

 

With a proud tradition behind us, Townsville Picnic Bay SLSC looks forward to continuing its success well into the future and providing top quality facilities to members and the public of Townsville.

Our History

Townsville Picnic Bay SLSC was formed in 1927 on Magnetic Island when the late Cyril Currie – found and life member of the club – turned his focus from a still water life saving club to the surf life saving movement.

 

The 1930s were boom years for surf life saving and Townsville Picnic Bay erected a clubhouse on the island in 1937. The 1950s and 1960s were also prosperous decades for the club which saw a new island clubhouse constructed in 1966. The Nipper club was formed the following season.

 

Thirty years later, the club decided to secure a base on the mainland in Townsville and in 1999 the dream came to fruition with the opening of its new clubhouse on the Strand.

 

"With the move to the mainland the club has significantly expanded its area of surveillance. Patrols will cover Picnic Bay and its adjacent area but now include the Strand beach." (extract from J. Jensen, You Never Really Leave Picnic Bay)

 

In 2007 Townsville Picnic Bay celebrated its 80th anniversary to coincide with 100 years of surf life saving.

 

At our 2010 Annual General Meeting, a Notice of Motion was voted on by members to add Townsville to the club's existing name. It was then moved that the club change its name to Townsville Picnic Bay SLSC as our presence on the mainland and at Magnetic Island brought about the decision for the name change, to take us into a brand new and exciting era.

 

With a proud tradition behind us, Townsville Picnic Bay SLSC looks forward to continuing its success well into the future and providing top quality facilities to members and the public of Townsville.

Picnic_Bay_Surf_club_Townsville
Picnic_Bay_Surf_club_Townsville
Picnic_Bay_Surf_club_Townsville
MI clubhouse dorm
MI Clubhouse  (3)
MI Clubhouse  (2)
MI clubhouse lounge room

© 2023 Townsville Picnic Bay Surf Lifesaving Club. 

Tel: 07 4724 4211 (Surf Life Saving & Nippers) / 07 4724 57 64(Venue Hire, Functions, Events)

80 The Strand, Townsville QLD 4810